[Mailman-i18n] Ubuntu/Launchpad Rosetta for i18n translations?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Nov 21 18:09:03 CET 2005

Hello translators,

In what will hopefully be just the first of several improvements to the
Mailman development process, I would like to get some feedback from the
i18n developers on moving translation coordination to Rosetta.

Rosetta is part of Ubuntu's Launchpad and while I haven't played around
with it too much (problems with my ancient gpg keys I suspect ;) it
looks a lot like what a few of us dreamed of writing several years ago
(but of course, never did).  Rosetta is essentially a web based
interface for translating open source applications.  The site has the
potential to be a much better collaboration platform for translations
than the mailing list or my inbox.  It also looks like it would open us
to collaborating with a much larger i18n community.

The ultimate goal of course is to continually improve the quality and
breadth of Mailman's translation.  The current set of champions have
done a great job getting Mailman i18n to where it is now, but I think
that something like Rosetta can make all our lives easier.
Specifically, I think Rosetta could help eliminate me as a bottleneck,
or require translators to deal with all the nastiness of committing
updates to the CVS trees themselves.

I would like to get feedback from the current i18n champions on this
plan.  If you have experience with Rosetta, both positive and negative,
as a translator or developer, I would be very interested in hearing your
opinion.

For more information see:

http://launchpad.com/rosetta

Cheers,