[Mailman-i18n] Mailman Language Champions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 21 05:56:57 CEST 2006

First of all, thanks to Clytie for helping push the internationalization
effort forward and for her wiki contributions (not to mention Vietnamese
translations which I'm looking forward to!).

Let me just add a few comments.

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 17:34 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> Please have a look, and while you're there, register with the wiki
> and contribute your own ideas and experience. ;)

Yes, please do!  The wiki is for everyone to participate in!

> I'd also like to suggest that on the Supported Languages table, we
> really only need one contact person per language. That language is
> welcome to include a link to its own page, which would list everyone
> contributing to that translation, but I don't think we really need
> more than one name per language on the table.

I think this is a good idea.  OTOH, I want to make sure that we give
proper attribution to all who contribute to Mailman's i18n.  I'm not
sure if that should go just in the wiki, or also be added to the
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT file in the source (or perhaps add a CONTRIBUTORS-I18N
file?).  I'm open to your suggestions -- you've worked hard and deserve
recognition!

Finally, we need to move forward on a better way to structure and
coordinate i18n contributions, both from the core developer's side and
from the translators side.  I've mentioned Rosetta before and we're very
nearly ready to make that switch -- if we still want to.  I've heard
that it may not be the best choice though, and I definitely don't want
to ram through a choice here if that's the case.  /I'm/ not a
translator, so I don't know what would make your lives easier.

I /can/ describe some of my requirements, and I've done so on this page:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Managing+Translations

Please visit this, fill out some of /your/ requirements, and provide any
other thoughts on improving the situation.  I would, however, like to
make a decision fairly soon, so that we can adopt the new way for
Mailman 2.2.

Cheers,
-Barry