[Mailman-i18n] Problems with Vietnamese translation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 26 17:16:21 CEST 2006

Clytie Siddall wrote:

>Weird. I used the latest .pot for Mailman, so the headers _should_ be
>correct. I can't see how msgmerge can have changed that: it only
>matches translations to original text. If the templates need to be
>there in the installed system, I'll have to fix this. <sigh>  But I'd
>still like to know how it happened. :(

I don't know. The mailman.pot does have the spaces between '#:' and the
path. msgmerge on my Cygwin test installation actually will put the
space in between '#:' and the path even if it isn't there in the
original mailman.po file, but if there are different msmerges out
there that exhibit different behavior, perhaps bin/po2templ.py needs
to be updated to account for differing formats.

In my case, I think the problem could be addressed by reordering
messages/Makefile.in to run msgmerge on the mailman.po before
po2templ.py and installing the templates, but if there are different
msgmerge behaviors, that wouldn't work for everyone. We'd need to
update po2templ.py.

It shouldn't be difficult to work up a patch to po2templ.py (using re)
that would make it more robust in this area. I'm willing to do that,
but I may not have time to get to it for a few days.

>Your next mail:
>
>> There is no entry for Vietnamese in the add_languages() statements in
>> Defaults.py.in in the Release_2_1-maint branch or in the LANGUAGE_DICT
>> entries in Defaults.py.in in the trunk.
>
>Who should add such entries? Should I? If so, please tell me what I
>should do.

The comments in Defaults.py.in say in part

# Vgg: Language descriptions and charsets dictionary, any new supported
# language must have a corresponding entry here.

I think this means it's up to the translator to put it there, but I'm
not really familiar with Mailman i18n procedures.

If you look at Defaults.py.in in the trunk and in the Release_2_1-maint
branch (they're different in this respect) at the very end of the
file, it should be obvious what to do.

>Is this analagous with adding a language code to the ALL_LINGUAS line
>in configure.in or configure.ac ?

No, not really.

configure.in contains commands to build ALL_LINGUAS by listing the
messages directory and selecting all subdirectory names of form '..'

The entries in Defaults.py are the same language codes, but they
contain the 'name' of the language (e.g., _(Vietnamese)), and the name
of the character set for the language.