[Mailman-i18n] Error in French Mailman translation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 7 05:04:26 CET 2007

Mads Kiilerich wrote:

>Someone, please apply these transcheck patches
>http://codebrowse.launchpad.net/~kiilerix/mailman/2.1-da/revision/1018
>http://codebrowse.launchpad.net/~kiilerix/mailman/2.1-da/revision/1019

I can't accept the rev 1018 patch because it breaks the ability to get
--help or a helpful command syntax diagnostic. I also don't see the
need for this patch. It is currently possible to check a source
translation by

 cd /path/to/source/directory
 /path/to/installed/bin/transcheck <language>

Is this not adequate?

The only substantive change in the rev 1019 patch is the replacements
of msgid with msgstr. I agree that this change is correct and I will
apply it, but ...

>This problem is then detected by
>    python bin/transcheck fr
>
>Or, to detect all such problems:
>    for l in $(cd messages ; ls -d ?? ??_??); do python bin/transcheck
>$l; done

I made a patched version of bin/transcheck with the msgid->msgstr
changes. I ran both the patched and the unpatched versions of
transcheck against all 34 translations in the Mailman-2.1.10b1, and
the outputs were identical. Apparently the '\x' sequences that are
mishandled by the unpatched version don't occur in any part of the
string that is checked.