[Mailman-i18n] Slovak translation of GNU Mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 28 02:28:40 CEST 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Martin Matuska wrote:

> The Slovak translation should be in an importable state now.
> I have been testing it successfully on my system for several weeks.
>
> Some statistics:
> Character set: UTF-8
> Translated messages: 1248
> Untranslated messages: 125
>
> Link:
> http://www.matuska.org/martin/mailman/
>
> Patch for Mailman ver 2.1.9, including updated German and Czech
> translations for the word "Slovak":
> http://www.matuska.org/martin/mailman/sk-2.1.9-0.1.patch.gz

Martin, thanks for your contribution.  I'm hoping Mark can import
your language for 2.1.10.  I'm also wondering whether we can get the
Hebrew translation into 2.1.10.

Here's something I've been thinking about, and I'd like to know what
you folks think about this.

Short of using a translation service such as Rosetta or Pootle, how
can we make translations easier to add and update?  What if all
translators were to use Bazaar branches of the 2.1 tree to update and
add new translations to?  Then all we (i.e. core developers) would
need to do would be to merge your branch to test the changes.  It
would make it easier for you because your translation branch could be
easily kept up-to-date with the official 2.1 branch, and it would be
easier for us to merge in your changes.

Is this a crazy idea or a good one?  It should be fairly easy to
implement both for you all and for us.  If anybody has any questions
about Bazaar, of course, we're here to help.

If you like this idea, I'd be happy to create a Launchpad team that
you could join and publish branches to, although it would /not/ be
required to use this.  In other words, you could use any Bazaar
branch hosting service to publish your i18n branches, even one you
hosted yourself.  The only thing I'd request is that we update the
wiki page

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages

to include the location of the branch.  The really cool thing is that
we could write a script to automatically scrape that page and pull
your updates whenever we're about to cut a new release.

Martin, how would you like to be the test subject on this one? :)

Thoughts?
- -Barry