[Mailman-i18n] Slovak translation of GNU Mailman

Dov Zamir linux at zamirfamily.com
Sat Jul 28 09:52:15 CEST 2007

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Martin Matuska wrote:
>

>> The Slovak translation should be in an importable state now.
>> I have been testing it successfully on my system for several weeks.
>>
>> Some statistics:
>> Character set: UTF-8
>> Translated messages: 1248
>> Untranslated messages: 125
>>
>> Link:
>> http://www.matuska.org/martin/mailman/
>>
>> Patch for Mailman ver 2.1.9, including updated German and Czech
>> translations for the word "Slovak":
>> http://www.matuska.org/martin/mailman/sk-2.1.9-0.1.patch.gz
>>

> Martin, thanks for your contribution.  I'm hoping Mark can import
> your language for 2.1.10.  I'm also wondering whether we can get the
> Hebrew translation into 2.1.10.

Anything I can do to help...
> Here's something I've been thinking about, and I'd like to know what
> you folks think about this.
>
> Short of using a translation service such as Rosetta or Pootle, how
> can we make translations easier to add and update?  What if all
> translators were to use Bazaar branches of the 2.1 tree to update and
> add new translations to?  Then all we (i.e. core developers) would
> need to do would be to merge your branch to test the changes.  It
> would make it easier for you because your translation branch could be
> easily kept up-to-date with the official 2.1 branch, and it would be
> easier for us to merge in your changes.
>
> Is this a crazy idea or a good one?  It should be fairly easy to
> implement both for you all and for us.  If anybody has any questions
> about Bazaar, of course, we're here to help.

It sounds good to me. It seems to me that this would simplify keeping
the translation up-to-date, and still not jepordize the main branch. It
will also give me a good place and method to store the translation. This
is a definite improvement over the present situation!
> If you like this idea, I'd be happy to create a Launchpad team that
> you could join and publish branches to, although it would /not/ be
> required to use this.  In other words, you could use any Bazaar

I'd be happy to join a launchpad team.
> branch hosting service to publish your i18n branches, even one you
> hosted yourself.  The only thing I'd request is that we update the
> wiki page
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages
>
> to include the location of the branch.  The really cool thing is that
> we could write a script to automatically scrape that page and pull
> your updates whenever we're about to cut a new release.
>
> Martin, how would you like to be the test subject on this one? :)

Again, if you would like more than 1 test subject...