[Mailman-i18n] Hebrew Mailman Support

Dov Zamir linux at zamirfamily.com
Wed Mar 21 21:27:40 CET 2007

Hi Barry,
????? Barry Warsaw:

> Hi Dov,
>
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Dov Zamir wrote:
>
>> I have now finished translating the Mailman package to Hebrew,
>> although I
>> am certain that there are still many errors. In any case, I understand
>> that I should send the translation on to you. Do I do this on or off
>> list?
>
> It's probably best to open a patch issue on SourceForge and attach
> your .po file to the patch. Then send a link to that issue here. One
> of us will pull it into svn from there.
>
>> Also, is there a way I can see the results of my translation? Can I
>> compile Mailman with Hebrew support enabled?
>
> You can. There's a few things you'll need to do to make your
> translations available to you (we should really make this much
> easier). You'll have to add an entry for it in Defaults.py.in -- just
> cargo cult it in from one of the other languages, changing the
> language code and charset as appropriate.
>
> You'll need to add the directory structure until messages (and
> possibly templates too, if you've translated them) and then update the
> Makefile.in's to include Hebrew's language code. Put your .po file in
> the right place, then re-run ./configure; make; make install.
>
> Let us know if you get stuck anywhere. I can probably try to pay
> attention to the #mailman channel on irc.freenode.net to walk you
> through it if you want.
>
>> I tried to compile the package that I downloaded, but it complianed that
>> it was unable to import Korean:-(
>
> Blech. What version of Python are you using? I would suggest 2.4.4 and
> then you won't need those add-on codecs.
A little more investigation shows that there is script under
.../mailman/bin called paths.py, which explicitly imports Korean and
Japanese.
Here's the error message:

Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bin/update", line 46, in ?
import paths
File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/paths.py", line 60, in ?
import korean
ImportError: No module named korean
make: *** [update] 1 ????

(Sorry for the Hebrew)