[Mailman-i18n] Using Pootle

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jul 3 07:21:34 CEST 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Dov Zamir wrote:

> Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

>>> Hmmm. The Hebrew (he/) directory is on disk from the bzr checkout,
>>> but
>>> the web (pootle) interface doesn't show it. I'll check to see if
>>> there's something on the pootle end that I have to do to enable
>>> it. Clytie?  Any clues?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I need the following info to add Hebrew from the web interface:
>> "special characters," "number of plurals," and "plural equation". The
>> line in the web interface for Swedish, for example:
>>
>> ISO	Full	Special	# of	plural
>> code	Name	Chars	plurals	equation
>>
>> sv	Swedish		2	(n != 1)
>>
>> What would it look like for Hebrew? So far I have:
>>
>> he	Hebrew	...?
>>
>> Clytie and Barry have admin rights, to they can theoretically go and
>> add Hebrew here: http://pootle.metalab.unc.edu/admin/languages.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
> I'd be happy to add my 2 cents, but  I really have no idea what this
> means :-(

This page has a pretty good overview of the plural forms problem,
though implementation-wise, it's pretty Qt-specific:

http://doc.trolltech.com/qq/qq19-plurals.html

This page has some pretty good detail regarding plurals in GNU
gettext, which I'm sure is what Pootle supports, and which is pretty
close in spirit to Python's gettext implementation:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/gettext/Plural-forms.html

In this specific case, I think the right values for Hebrew are:

# of plurals: 2
plural equation: (n != 1)

Cheers,
- -Barry