[Mailman-i18n] Pootle introduction

Cristóbal Palmer cmpalmer at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Jul 3 18:50:18 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:33:15AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hi Clytie,
>
> This was extremely helpful, thanks!  I've captured this on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Pootle+primer
>
> Just a couple of comments.
>
>> DOWNLOADING
>>
>> The Pootle docs (Docs and Help link, or [3]) contain everything you
>> need to know about Pootle, so please read them. However, I'll go on
>> with a summary here.
>>
>> You can download your translation file(s) at any time from your Pootle
>> project directory. Look for the "Zip Archive" link at the top of the
>> page, to download a whole directory of files, or for the "PO format"
>> link next to each file (when you've clicked on Show Editing
>> Functions), to download a single file. As you can see, you can
>> download your file in different formats.
>
> Ah, downloading was buried on the Show Editing Functions page.  I knew I
> had to be missing it!
>
>> Barry, if you want to download all the PO files at once, you're better
>> off downloading them from bzr. Pootle splits the files into
>> language-projects.
>
> When you say "download from bzr", I'm not sure what you mean.  Does
> Pootle's bzr integration actually publish its own branches?  If so, that
> would be very cool!
>
> Ideally, I'd like for the translators to just do their thing, without
> regard to Mailman's release cycle.  (In practice though, we should give
> them a heads up of course.)  When we're ready to release we Push A Button
> to grab all the current translations and package them up into whatever
> form we need.  We can probably automate it all, screen scraping if we
> have to (though that sucks), but if we had access to those files through
> bzr, that would rock.
>
> If possible, I'm sure we could set up a fake user on Launchpad for
> Pootle to push branches to, say once per day.  That would also be very
> cool because then we wouldn't have to fear for Cristobal's machine
> crashing.

On my machine there's a branch of lp:mailman/stable, and then a
checkout from that branch. I've then symlinked to a directory
(messages/) in that checkout. If there's a way to cron-ify the
publication of that checkout back to launchpad, that would be most
excellent. I would just set that up once and it could run nightly.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer
ibiblio.org systems administrator