[Mailman-i18n] Logo contest voting is open!

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Apr 16 15:01:00 CEST 2010

Sorry: I only saw this today.

On 09/04/2010, at 7:14 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Earlier this year, we announced the contest for a new GNU Mailman logo.  We
> received over 30 entries from many talented artists, and we thank all of them
> for their generous contribution.
>
> The Mailman Steering Committee has narrowed the selection down to 5 finalists,
> and we have identified a decent free internet voting site.  With that, I'd
> like to announce the opening of the community driven poll for the new GNU
> Mailman logo!
>
> Vote here: http://bit.ly/cUpAA2
>
> The poll will remain open until Friday May 7, 2010 at 2200 UTC.  Please
> participate by ranking the logos from most favorite (1) to least favorite (5).
> While the voting software will prevent double votes, I have confidence that
> this community will also be good citizens and play fairly.  You will have to
> enable JavaScript to properly interact with the voting site.
>
> GNU Mailman is free software so of course you may forward this announcement to
> other interested mailing lists.  We invite anyone in the free software and
> open source communities to participate in the vote.
>
> Thanks again to all of our great artists, and to you for your continued
> support.  If you have any questions, please do ask.

I do have a question or two. ;)

In voting for the logo, I also consulted my daughter, an embryo graphic designer. She asked "What is the logo for? Where will it be displayed? Will it also be used as a program icon?" She definitely has a point or three there.

It would be useful to have this information on the voting page, e.g. "This logo will be displayed on X and Y, and it will (not) be used as a program icon."

Only one of the logos was suitable for use as an icon, and it was the "M" one, which is otherwise quite unsuitable, since it doesn't show Mailman's main function: email. One icon was in the form of a badge, which might not work well in different display areas. One had a postmark, which is becoming increasingly irrelevant in an electronic age.

While the "postage stamp" image is still relevant to some extent, the most powerful image shown was the "@" symbol, universally associated with email.

I would have loved to see a GNU (horns and all) intertwined with the "@" symbol somehow. That would say it all.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team