[Mailman-i18n] Logo contest voting is open!

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue May 4 17:33:45 CEST 2010

Hi Clytie!

On Apr 16, 2010, at 10:31 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:

>I do have a question or two. ;)

:)

>In voting for the logo, I also consulted my daughter, an embryo graphic
>designer. She asked "What is the logo for? Where will it be displayed? Will
>it also be used as a program icon?" She definitely has a point or three
>there.

Definitely.  Initially, I want to use the logo to re-brand the website and
wiki.  I'd like to use the logo on the relevant Launchpad pages to tie all the
development resources together.  We will use the logo on the default new web
ui pages, and hopefully a scaled down version as a new favicon.  Mailman isn't
a desktop application so I don't see much opportunity to use it as a
traditional desktop program icon.

>It would be useful to have this information on the voting page, e.g. "This
>logo will be displayed on X and Y, and it will (not) be used as a program
>icon."

It would be, but the voting page is pretty limited and I can't do much about
changing it now that the vote is in progress.

>Only one of the logos was suitable for use as an icon, and it was the "M"
>one, which is otherwise quite unsuitable, since it doesn't show Mailman's
>main function: email. One icon was in the form of a badge, which might not
>work well in different display areas. One had a postmark, which is becoming
>increasingly irrelevant in an electronic age.

I'm refraining from stating my preferences, but once we have a winner and the
artwork is assigned to the FSF, we can make (hopefully minor) modifications to
suite the different applications.

>While the "postage stamp" image is still relevant to some extent, the most
>powerful image shown was the "@" symbol, universally associated with email.
>
>I would have loved to see a GNU (horns and all) intertwined with the "@"
>symbol somehow. That would say it all.

Perhaps so, but these are the logos we got as submissions and we're deep into
the contest, so I don't think there's much we can do about that now.  I'm sure
some day we'll have another contest. :)

-Barry