[Mailman-i18n] Fwd: Mailman finnish translation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 8 02:55:02 CEST 2010

On 5/5/2010 2:38 AM, Joni Töyrylä wrote:

> 5) Natives
> -- Is this correct native message? What this actually means? Without
> double "concerning"- word.
> #~ msgid "Policies concerning concerning the content of list traffic."

Messages that begin with #~ are "obsolete message" comments. They are
messages that couldn't be matched against a current message in the
template (.pot) file when msgmerge was run.

This particular message has not been in the source for a long time. The
actual message in the current source is the one immediately following
the line

#: Mailman/Gui/ContentFilter.py:42

> 6) White spaces
> -- About white spaces, should they be as in native (as close as
> possible) or does it make any difference?
> -- How long the line should be, exactly as long in characters as native?
> --  For example as in this native:
> #: Mailman/Commands/cmd_confirm.py:18
> #, fuzzy
> msgid ""
> "\n"
> "    confirm <confirmation-string>\n"
> "        Confirm an action.  The confirmation-string is required and
> should "
> "be\n"
> "        supplied by a mailback confirmation notice.\n"

This particular message goes in the body of an email, so the lines
should be ind3ented, wrapped and filled as necessary to make a uniform
looking email body. In other messages that are ultimately destined for
HTML for example, the line lengths are not important.

> 7) What means stripping here? removing white spaces, removing address or
> domain or what?
> #: Mailman/Gui/General.py:163
> #, fuzzy
> msgid ""
> "Should any existing <tt>Reply-To:</tt> header found in the\n"
> "             original message be stripped?  If so, this will be done\n"
> "             regardless of whether an explict <tt>Reply-To:</tt> header
> is\n"
> "             added by Mailman or not."

Stripping here means removal of the entire Reply-To: header from the
incoming mail. In this context, you could replace "stripped" with
"removed" without changing the meaning.

> 8) Why i get 158 untranslated messages, as far as i know everything
> should be translated?
> :~$ msgfmt -cv -o /dev/null
> /var/lib/mailman/messages/fi/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po
> 1192 translated messages, 5 fuzzy translations, 158 untranslated messages.

There are 158 messages where msgstr is empty.

> 9) In my local copy i have only en- subfolder in /templates folder. Does
> this mean that finnish translation is missing for all templates?

Are you looking at the Mailman 3.0 branch? If so, the templates are in
the message catalog and are installed for selected languages at
installation time. But, you should be looking at the 2.1 branch because
that has the most complete and up to date translations at this time. In
the 2.1 distribution, the templates are in the templates directory in
the distribution.

Finally, note there is a bin/transcheck script that checks for the
presence of all the appropriate substitution variables.