[Mailman-i18n] Polish language template files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 18 20:51:45 EST 2017

On 01/18/2017 04:58 PM, Mark Dale wrote:
> On 19/01/17 11:41, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>> What are the headers from a list welcome or other similar message from a
>> Polish language list?
>>

> On the list-welcome emails the content-type in the header is:

> It is the same for both the emails, the ones that display question marks
> and the one that displays the Polish letters.
>
> The full headers are:
>
> ***************************************
> **** EMAIL SHOWING QUESTION MARKS *****
> Subject: =?utf-8?q?Witaj_na_li=C5=9Bcie_=22Singapore=22_?=

I'm beginning to see the light here. Your Mailman installation is broken
by Debian.

Recent Debian Mailman packages have changed Mailman's character set for
all languages to utf-8. They have changed the definition of add_language
in Defaults.py from

def add_language(code, description, charset, direction='ltr'):
    LC_DESCRIPTIONS[code] = (description, charset, direction)

def add_language(code, description, charset, direction='ltr'):
    LC_DESCRIPTIONS[code] = (description, 'utf-8', direction)

thus ignoring the specified charset and made other changes to recode all
the templates and message catalogs to utf-8. However, these changes are
not sufficient as they did nothing about non-ascii string values in
attributes of existing lists leading to
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1462755> and the issue in the
thread mentioned at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1462755/comments/6>

So, basically in your Debian Mailman, everything is supposed to be utf-8
encoded. In your case however, something in the way the Mailman package
was installed did not pick up the utf-8 encoded templates for Polish and
perhaps other languages.

Do you have overriding templates in a templates/site/pl or
templates/<domain_name>/pl or even in lists/<listname>/pl directories
that are not utf-8 encoded?

So I think the bottom line here is you have Debian's
<https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-mailman/trunk/debian/patches/91_utf8.patch?view=markup&pathrev=788>
patch in your installation, but somehow you didn't have Debian's recoded
utf-8 templates.