[Mailman-Users] forgot list admin password

Ken Manheimer klm at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Dec 3 20:19:31 CET 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Greg Stein wrote:

> I forgot my list admin password and can't find it in my mail (for the
> thread-sig at python.org). Is there a way that I can have Mailman send
> it to me?  (or do I have to bother Ken for the millionth time?)
>
> If Mailman can't send it to me, then ocnsider this a request to add the
> feature. I would suggest an extra button on the admin logon screen that
> kicks off the email.

Mailman can't send it to you, because mailman doesn't "know" the admin
(or site) passwords - it only has the encrypted versions.  This is
different than the individual-subscription passwords, and makes sense
since the admin password is for a much more sensitive resource, and
admins have closer involvement, hence more likely to keep track of the
passwords (and there are a lot fewer admins than subscribers!)

Greg, i can set a new password for you and contact you directly about
it.

Ken