[Mailman-Users] Multilingual support in mailman?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue Jul 7 21:05:01 CEST 1998

    FF>  I'm planning to use mailman on a mailing-list I'm gonna
    FF> create. But I'd rather have it display all messages in french
    FF> :) Right now I see that I'd have to edit many scripts to
    FF> translate the texts. Would it be possible to have a version in
    FF> which the texts and the scripts are separated? That would make
    FF> translation easier.

I've been slowly working on this for the next release.  I've managed
to move most of the large chunks of text into separate files in the
template directory.

    FF>  Furthermore by greping the sources I see that many sentences
    FF> are repeated often. Wouldn't it be safer to have only one
    FF> definition of these across all scripts? For example "--
    FF> confirmation of subscription -- request" is used 4 times in 3
    FF> scripts:

A lot of these small sentences are still in the code, but I agree they
should be moved out into separate files.  The utilities to do this are
all in place, so it's just a matter of tracking them all down and
converting them.

-Barry