[Mailman-Users] Multilingual support in mailman?

John Viega viega at list.org
Tue Jul 7 21:05:10 CEST 1998

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 03:05:01PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     FF>  I'm planning to use mailman on a mailing-list I'm gonna
>     FF> create. But I'd rather have it display all messages in french
>     FF> :) Right now I see that I'd have to edit many scripts to
>     FF> translate the texts. Would it be possible to have a version in
>     FF> which the texts and the scripts are separated? That would make
>     FF> translation easier.
>
> I've been slowly working on this for the next release.  I've managed
> to move most of the large chunks of text into separate files in the
> template directory.

Yes, that's fine for the template stuff.  Other strings should perhaps
be indexes into files that are language dependant.  We could have a
string file for each supported language, and symbolic names to
represent the indices.  I worry a bit about the extra disc access
though, it would have to be something where we'd only open and scan
the file if we need to read from it.

John