[Mailman-Users] mail encoding

guenter at ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de guenter at ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jul 23 11:57:42 CEST 1998

Hi,

Mailman seems to encode mails that it sends to list member, at least in
digest mode.  It changes german umlauts to escape sequences most email
clients cannot decode.  In particular, the ae-umlaut (ä) is encoded as
the three characters escape, a, :.  I have seen this with other list
servers before and am not sure, why this is done (maybe there exists
some standard somewhere which says to do this).  I have tried sendmail
from the command line and it does not do it.

Generally two methods of transferring eight bit characters work a lot
better:

1. leave them as they are
2. add the header "Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable" and
encode as "=" plus the hex code of the character.

Is there any way to make mailman use one of the above schemes?  Is the
mime module of python the culprit?  Has anyone else experienced similar
problems?

- Guenter
--
Guenter Radestock, Universitaetsbibliothek Karlsruhe
guenter at ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de
http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/~guenter