[Mailman-Users] permission denied to archives dir with apache

Scott scott at chronis.pobox.com
Wed Nov 11 23:36:17 CET 1998

On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 05:33:55PM -0500, John Lewis wrote:
| Scott, of pobox.com, had the solution to the archive access issue.

Gee i feel like i have a new sirname "pobox.com" ;)

| In the Apache srm.conf file, I needed to have the following:
|
| <Directory /home/mailman/archives/public>
| Options FollowSymLinks
| order allow,deny
| allow from all
| </Directory>

the extra little "order allow,deny...allow from all" is necessary if
their are auth restrictions in a higher level directory preventing
access access to the public.

Maybe this should go in the docs somewhere.

| After adding that, and restarting httpd, it now works.
|
| Now if only we could restrict access to private archives to members of the
| list, using the email address as a login, and the list password as the
| access password to see the archives...

do you mean the list admin password, or creating a separate listwide
password that will work for everybody for everything except admin
stuff?

scott