[Mailman-Users] Some notes on upgrading to the current CVS tree

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Oct 19 22:20:11 CEST 1998

Notes on upgrading to the current CVS tree of Mailman:

* I ran configure and make as myself, su'ed to mailman, and then ran
  into some trouble on the "make install" because some files aren't
  world-readable:

scripts/driver
Numerous templates/*.txt files
Mailman/Logging/*.py

  But it's much less error-prone to do everything as the mailman user...

* The documentation should mention that you should alias /pipermail/ to
  <prefix>/public_html/archives/ .

* The mailbox-format archive is stored as a gzip'ped file, but
  referenced in the HTML in uncompressed form.  Why?  Are you expected to
  configure the Web server to automatically uncompress it?  If so, how do
  you do that?

* Is there any way to clear out my test e-mails from the archives?
  Since Mailman has just been set up, it would be fine with me if I
  could just blow away public_html/archives; would it be created
  again?

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
    "Are you ready for me? Are you ready for my indifference? For my abysmal