[Mailman-Users] Hypermail integration

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Apr 8 12:39:44 CEST 1999

    RS> searching the pipermail archives is a feature that many of us
    RS> would like.  Are there plans for adding searching to
    RS> pipermail?

Probably not.  Andrew Kuchling (Pipermail's author) is not continuing
development on it and I don't think any of the Mailman developers has
a particularly driving desire to continue hacking on it.  IMO,
Pipermail's prime benefits are that 1) it's 100% Python code; 2) works
well enough that there is at least a baseline bundled archiver.

I think I now understand that neither MHonArc nor Hypermail actually
come with search engines either, so it seems that everyone's got the
same problem.  What would be cool is if somebody adopts Pipermail as a
spinoff and enhances it to do searching, MIME, etc.  Then we could
fold the work back into Mailman.  But I'll admit that that's a big
job.

-Barry