[Mailman-Users] Are passwords obligatory?

Clark Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Sat Apr 10 23:43:27 CEST 1999

Soren Dayton wrote:
> I was wondering whether the use of passwords is obligatory or not?  One
> of the things that we use our current (smartlist) setup for is something
> like a department wide announcements (that people can un-subscribe to
> automatically).  Giving everyone passwords for this seems a little
> excessive to me, so I was wondering if there were facilities for not
> using this (all the time).

The archives have a debate on this issue.  From my memory,
in a future version, a subscribe/unsubscribe will not
require passwords (but will require confirmation).  All other
features (switching preferences, etc.) will require a password.

This seemed to be the middle ground that most people could agree with.

Regards,

Clark