[Mailman-Users] Virtual Hosts -- can mailman handle them better?

Tauren Mills tauren at servlets.net
Sat Aug 14 11:39:16 CEST 1999

I just installed Mailman and love it!  Great work!

However, I have a question about how to make it work better with
VirtualHosts.  I am hosting numerous client web sites using Apache
VirtualHosts.  I have been able to make it so that my client's web sites can
each bring up the /mailman/listinfo and /mailman/admin pages from their own
domain.

The /mailman/listinfo page only shows the lists that are part of that
domain.  Excellent.  But the /mailman/admin page shows all of the lists on
the server whether they are for that domain or not (unless the lists are not
publicly displayed).  Not so good.

Also, if I send an email to clientlist-request at clientdomain.com with the
command "help", the response email comes back from
clientlist-request at mydomain.com.  It also has links and email addresses
throughout the email that point to
http://www.mydomain.com/mailman/listinfo/clientlist and
clientlist-admin at mydomain.com rather than
clientlist-admin at clientdomain.com.

I expect that most of the email-based commands are going have responses that
look like they come from the main server rather than the customer's domain,
but I'm hoping there is a workaround I'm not aware of.

Lastly, when I execute the "newlist" command, the email that gets
automatically sent to the administrator refers to URLs at mydomain.com.  I
would love to have a way to have that email refer to URLs at
clientdomain.com.

I'm sure there are all sorts of other little things that could be done to
make Mailman support VirtualHosts better.  Are there ways to deal with these
issues?  If not, do people think that they are worth adding to the product?

Thanks,

tauren at servlets.net