[Mailman-Users] Support for virtual domains

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Dec 2 06:29:00 CET 1999

>>>>> "Hrvoje" == Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic at iskon.hr> writes:

    Hrvoje> Does mailman support virtual domains?

Yes it should.  I will say that I don't personally run Mailman on my
alternate domains (e.g. not on jpython.org), so there may be some
rough edges.  I'm interested in hearing your war stories so we can
make it work better.

    Hrvoje> The feature I have in mind is that mailman is being run on
    Hrvoje> a mail server that handles mail for several domains.  The
    Hrvoje> domains can have their own mailing lists, which should
    Hrvoje> look as if they are run from these domains.

    Hrvoje> Of course, the lists will function either way, but what we
    Hrvoje> need is that the communication between the server and the
    Hrvoje> user (response from `help' command, etc.) look like it's
    Hrvoje> coming from our client's domain.

    Hrvoje> Is there a way to cleanly set up such a situation?

Take a look at the host_name configuration variable (under "General"
admin options).  Also VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW in Mailman/Defaults.py.

-Barry