[Mailman-Users] Remove X-Mailman-Version and List-ID

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Dec 2 06:45:15 CET 1999

    RR> I've got some users who are clamoring for not having these
    RR> added to our email as their client shows these lines and
    RR> they'd prefer not to see more header lines (they also objected
    RR> to 'Sender:' and 'X-BeenThere', but I said these were
    RR> necessary for the standard and they were willing to have them
    RR> stay).

    RR> As far as I see it, there's not much need for these lines.  Is
    RR> that correct?

    RR> Is there any way to remove these lines?

In the new codebase, you could easily comment out those lines from
Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py.  I'll let you find them yourself with
the 1.1 codebase. :)

Note that X-BeenThere is essential to stop mail loops.  My MTA puts
Sender: headers in, Mailman just munges them to something more
appropriate for the outgoing message.

X-Mailman-Version is arguably gratuitous, but it has been extremely
helpful for me when people forward messages posted through a Mailman
system.   List-ID is a proposed or draft (can't remember) IETF
standard, along with a bunch of other List-* headers we don't (yet)
add.

I'd suggest leaving those headers alone and helping your users figure
out how to get their MUAs to suppress these lines.  I'd be surprised
if they can't be easily hidden; most mail readers let you do this
don't they?

-Barry