[Mailman-Users] setting the reply to for a list

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Wed Dec 8 21:44:34 CET 1999

On mer, déc 08, 1999 at 02:22:28 -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > Actually what I'd need as options for Reply-To is:
> > - none
> > - reply to list
> > - reply to sender (to force replies off list)
> > - reply to other Email.
>
> If you do 3, you're overriding the Reply-To the sender himself set, and that's
> a bad thing.  If you want replys to go to the sender, use 1.  Personally, I

Yes, I'm a strong believer in setting reply to considered harmful

However, I'm also tired of bonehead users who hit group reply every single
time. However, what mailman should probably offer is:

2a reply to list no matter what
2b reply to list only if reply-to isn't already set

3a reply-to sender no matter what
3b reply-to sender only if reply-to isn't already set

4a reply to other Email no matter what
4b reply to other Email only if reply-to isn't already set.

I'd personally  never use 2a,  3a, or  4a, but even  if I consider  them bad
choices, I don't like to take choice away from people.

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information