[Mailman-Users] S/MIME and Public Key Encryption Features

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Dec 10 04:57:34 CET 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:49:13 -0600
Jeffrey C Ollie <jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us> wrote:

> One thing that I would like to see would be for Mailman to be able
> to detect cryptographically signed messages. Then it would be
> possible to set up lists to reject unsigned messages, or messages
> that are signed but have been damaged or tampered with in transit,
> or messages that are signed but the key id doesn't match any
> subscription, etc.

A set of procmail recipies inserted before the call to wrapper can
do much of this.  I toyed with doing this at VA for the Trillian
project (actually we were going to use scipts called directly by
Exim, but the principle is the same), but we never got around to it.

> Of course, rather than using S/MIME, OpenPGP-compatible encryption
> should be used (Like GNU Privacy Guard).

Both have advantages in different security scenarios.  I wouldn't
discard either out of hand.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu