[Mailman-Users] envelope_sender et al

Kadlecsik Jozsi kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu
Wed Dec 15 10:15:02 CET 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Bek Oberin wrote:

> I've got USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = 0 at the bottom of my
> /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py (that's where Debian puts it,
> anyway) and SMART_ADDRESS_MATCH = 1 in Defaults.py
> but mailman is still not using the From: header
> - I have several complaints from members whose mail is
> being held up because mailman is sniffing something
> other than the From: headers to get its addresses.

I think the problem is the following: even when USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is set
to zero, the Sender header field is checked. The From field counts only
when the Sender field is missing from the E-mail message. (See GetSender
in class IncomingMessage in Message.py).

So here come some feature requests:

- USE_FROM_ONLY in addition to USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER
- per mailing list USE_FROM_ONLY and IGNORE_SENDER_COMPLETELY :-)

- per subscriber alternate address lists for restricted lists!!
  (now we have a long list with more and more invalid alternate
   addresses as subscribers leave the restricted list.)

Regards,
Jozsef Kadlecsik
E-mail : kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: finger kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu | WWW: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary