[Mailman-Users] Feature request

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Thu Dec 16 23:01:07 CET 1999

On jeu, déc 16, 1999 at 01:40:39 -0800, Michael Sweeney wrote:
> At 01:22 PM 12/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
> Marc, I can't help asking this: In the particular case you cite above, how
> do you propose to get the autoresponder to not respond to the unsubscribe
> notice? ;-)

It will, but the user will get my mail and he/she'll know that he/she has
been unsubscribed and why.

> For my part, I've found that it takes much less energy and distraction to
> just unsubscribe people who do things like this and let them figure it out
> on their own. When they do it enough times that I recognize their email

You give them too much credit...

> address, I put their address in the block list. It might be more satisfying
> to take a poke at some people who exhibit more than the normal idiocy, but
> in the long run, I haven't found it to be worthwhile. (Besides, I'm hoping
> that if I show a little charity, others will cut me some slack when *I* do
> dumb things. :) )

Also, in the  case of someone who gets unsubscribed  for bounces or whatever
might get the unsubscribe message later, and in this case it's useful.

> I would just as soon see a feature that would automatically unsubscribe (or
> at least disable) any address that sent mail from an autoresponder.

Without  VERP,  you   can't  do  that  reliably. The  from   address  of  an
autoresponder doesn't necessarly match the subscribed address.

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information