[Mailman-Users] Bounces Issue - Revisit II

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Dec 17 18:28:32 CET 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:04:45 -0800 (PST)
Dan Busarow <dan at dpcsys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Consider: *ANYBODY*, right now, can bring your server to its
>> knees with a mail storm.  Bad ju jus.  Configure your MTA to
>> protect itself and your system.  Let your secondary MX'es, who
>> are similarly configured, absorb peak loads.  Let the originating
>> sites hold the mail in normal SMTP fashion until the peak has
>> smoothed out a bit.

> This volume isn't particularly high for straight sendmail/procmail
> delivery.  We see higher during large spam runs.  But throw python
> in the picture and things go down hill fast.

Ahh.  Yes, that it would.  You said 100's -- just how large are you
talking?  While my current mail server is a little heftier than
yours (dual P-333 with 512Meg RAM, Ultra-SCSI III disks and
configured for 30 queue runners) even with an inbound rate of ~500
messages per minute all of them headed to MailMan in some fashion
(list posts or bounces) I haven't seen the system load go over 16.

If you need limit to a smaller number without limiting your
incomings, then a simple procmail rule inserted in front of the
bounce wrapper to serialise or at least limit parallelism for
bounces would probably do it.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu