[Mailman-Users] subscribe address

Glenn F . Maynard glennm at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 18 00:32:04 CET 1999

Situation: I send a 'subscribe' mail to my list.  From: is
glennm at mediaone.net (no reply-to); Sender: is glenn at zoot.ne.mediaone.net.
The list attempts to subscribe Sender, instead of From; the only way I can
get my actual address subbed is to do it via the web mechanisms, and most
people don't want to do that (myself included.)

I'm not sure where the actual problem is (should my sender be my address? I
don't think so.  It ignores Reply-To just the same), but in practice this
means lots of people have trouble subscribing.  Is there a quick way to
get the list to take the From (or Reply-to, first, if it's there), rather
then Sender?  (Even if this breaks RFCs, it'd be a fix for my situation.)

Due to this, I'm also forced to allow posting from nonsubscribers (which, for
one of my lists, is a bad thing).  Disallowing that, I have to add two
accounts for myself; one for the one actually receiving mail
(glennm at mediaone.net) and a post-only one (glenn at zoot.ne.mediaone.net).  If
the list checked From and Reply-to, this wouldn't be needed.

I've not had this problem on other lists; am I missing a simple configuration
option?

--
Glenn Maynard