[Mailman-Users] mailman and exim

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 15:23:20 CET 1999

prudek at nembv.cz said:
> 554 Too many hops 27 (25 max): from <prudek at nembv.cz> via

So the message is looping, and from the log extract you gave its a
simple loop where you are passing mail to your smarthost hp-bv.nembv.cz
and its passing it back to you for delivery.  Thats a simple
configuration fault, and the question is *who* should be taking
responsibility for finally delivering that address - looks like mailman
is not involved at all.

prudek at nembv.cz said:
> Well, I have relay_domains = hp-bv.nembv.cz.
> I tried the following:
>  relay_domains = hp-bv.nembv.cz:127.0.0.1

you should be adding that entry to host_accept_relay (for version 3.00
and above) not relay_domains.  Obsolete 2.x versions use a different
variable.

Running a mail system is not a suck it and see process.  Exim is
exceptionally well documented, I suggest you read some of that
documentation.  Finally you could try asking on the exim list, but you
will need to post the directors/routers config for people to make sense
of it.  Exim information, including the (mailman run) mailing list, is
at http://www.exim.org/

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]