[Mailman-Users] Announcement lists and Moderated Lists...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Dec 20 18:33:53 CET 1999

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:29:38 +0800 (CST)
Maren S Leizaola <maren at leizaola.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:32:10 +0800 (CST) Maren S Leizaola
>> <maren at leizaola.com> wrote:

>> 1) You can tell MailMan to deliver via SMTP to your ISP's mail
>> server (this is part of the normal configs when you define what
>> mail server for MailMan to use)

> Can you point me to the right file/parameter where this is
> stored. I hope I did not miss it on the web interface. :)

You specify this when you build MailMan, or put it in Defaults.py.

>> 2) You configure your MTA to use your ISP's mail server as a
>> smarthost.  MailMan then delivers mail to your local MTA which
>> then immediately bounces it to your ISP's mail server for
>> delivery.
>>
>> I would recommend #2.

> I thought of this but the problem is that it will spawn each
> individaul message and deliver it to the ISP and what I am trying
> to avoid is using bandwidth.

This is only true with unintelligent MTA's.  Exim, as a case in
point, will deliver to the smarthostonly as many messages as MailMan
delivered to it -- which is typically <num_of_subscribers>/100.  I
believe, but have not checked, that Postfix behaves similarly.

> This does not solve my problem.

Actually it does, modulo your choice of MTA.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu