[Mailman-Users] How to operate an umbrella list?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Mon Dec 27 02:55:26 CET 1999

I'm brand new to mailman (about 30 minutes ago).  I am switching a group of
related mailing lists to use mailman.  There are five separate mailing
lists, call them l1, l2, l3, l4 and l5.  Each list is associated with a
specific school.  There is a general reflector that looks like this in
/etc/aliases:

    biglist: l1, l2, l3, l4, l5

These are private lists.  Archiving is disabled.  Only list members can view
the contents of their individual lists.  The intention is that people will
normally want to post to biglist, but occasionally want to hold
school-specific discussions on one of the smaller lists.

I am on l3.  As an initial test, I sent mail to the five lists.  The message
got held up in l1 awaiting manager approval.

Is there some way I can continue to operate in this umbrella mode with
things fairly tightly restricted regarding posts?  I guess I'm asking for
something in between allowing only list members to post and allowing the
whole world to post.

Thx,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...