[Mailman-Users] Messages silently disappearing

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Feb 19 23:37:24 CET 1999

>>>>> "HM" == Harald Meland <Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no> writes:

    HM> I can't really see that there is any viable[1] alternative to
    HM> putting

    HM>   setregid(getegid(), -1);

    HM> somewhere in common.c:run_script() [wrapped with appropriate
    HM> autoconfisms, of course].

    HM> As long as there are systems not preserving the effective GID
    HM> when they ought to (IMHO), we'll have to hope that using the
    HM> real GID will work better.  And, I don't think that setting
    HM> the real GID to the effective GID will cause trouble on other
    HM> systems.

Thanks Harald, this sounds reasonable.  I'm not sure what to do if
autoconf detects that the system is missing a setregid() though.
Right now it just doesn't get called.  I suppose I'll also document
all this in the FAQ.  I tested this on Wes' machine with my example
code, and it looks at least like the popen() process is getting the
necessary gid.  I did not test it with a live Mailman setup.

Folks (especially Wes and Edward, and anybody else who was noticing
these problems), could you please wait for my next check-in and then
grab the CVS snapshot.  Reset the ownership on ~mailman/data and do a
re-install to see if my changes fix your problems.  If you can't
access the CVS repository, let me know and I'll do a beta9 release.


More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list