[Mailman-Users] Mailman & QMail

Martin Preishuber Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at
Sun Feb 21 00:02:05 CET 1999

Martin Preishuber wrote:

<snip>

> 2. With QMail many people try to avoid relaying (so do I), so
>    mailman can't send mail in most cases. Mailman does (when
>    doing a newlist) something like:
>
> import Mailman.Utils
> Mailman.Utils.SendTextToUser("test", "text",
> "preisl at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at", "mailman-owner at ftp.uni-klu.ac.at")
>
>    where preisl at stuco is the recipient and mailman-owner at ftp is
>    the sender ... SendTextToUser does _not_ report an error ...
>    when reproducing this by hand:
>
> [root at ftpsrv /root]# telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 ftpsrv.sci.uni-klu.ac.at ESMTP
> mail from: mailman-owner at ftp.uni-klu.ac.at
> 250 ok
> rcpt to: preisl at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at
> 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
>
>    then you see, that qmail doesn't relay for that host, so
>    from my point of view mailman will only send mail to the hosts
>    setup in rcpthosts ... is this right ?

Ok, the solution is to use tcpserver (ucspi-tcp package) instead
of starting qmail with the inetd ...

Martin

P.S. since I've sent a couple of mails, I hope that I've helped at least
a few of you out there ;-)

--
Martin Preishuber - Student, ECLiPt Core Member, SysAdmin
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at,
mailto:Martin.Preishuber at stuco.uni-klu.ac.at

Some rise by sin and some by virtue fall.