[Mailman-Users] "Permission denied" errors when queueing message

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Sat Feb 27 20:02:08 CET 1999

    BR> I'm attempting to set up MailMan 1.0b8 on a Slackware 3.2
    BR> system, with Python 1.51.  The CGI interface works fine, the
    BR> only thing that doesn't is when it tries to queue a message to
    BR> send.  The output from the error log is below.  I can't figure
    BR> out which file it is trying to open and getting "permission
    BR> denied".  I'm also not that familiar with Python, so if
    BR> someone could help me out here it would be much appreciated.
    BR> Thanks.

This is probably caused by the popen-doesn't-inherit-setgid bug
exhibited on some Linux systems (I still don't know exactly *which*
Linux distributions this affects -- definitely not RH5.x).  This
should be fixed in 1.0b9, which will hopefully be released this
weekend.

Check the mailman-developers or mailman-users archives if you want
more information in the meantime.

-Barry