[Mailman-Users] Weird Configuration Error

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Wed Jun 2 21:00:53 CEST 1999

[John Rizzo]

> One thing do I have to worry about group privleges or something like that
> and if so what?

Whenever a Mailman script needs special access privileges to some
Mailman file, this is done by a setGID (not setUID) wrapper.  So yes,
you need to worry about group privileges.

I don't think there is a "fix Mailman's permissions" script -- yet.

You could try doing

  # chown -R mailman.mailman /usr/lib/mailman
  # chmod -R ug+rw,o-w /usr/lib/mailman
  # find /usr/lib/mailman -type d | xargs chmod 2775

as a crude maybe-fix, bandaid-hack -- if you're _really_ desperate.

Someone _really_ should try writing that permission fixer script...
--
Harald