[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Does anyone else see these?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Mar 5 19:19:54 CET 1999

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:17:53 -0600 (CST)
Christopher Lindsey<lindsey at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps Mailman could add (yet another) header indicating the
> targetted recepient to help with this type of situation?  Maybe
> X-Mailman-Recepient?  Or it could be wrapped it into another header
> like X-BeenThere...

One technique I used for my own list software (now defunct) was that
every N'th message to each subscriber was sent individually with
custom headers giving the subscription address, list name etc.  All
the other sends (the rest of N) were sent as per normal with 100 RCPT
TO's per message.  Then, instead of attempting to parse bounce
formats, instead I merely looked for these custom headers in the bouce
returns and tracked that way.

In this way, by rotating the N thru the subscriber base so that on any
one particular posting only 1/N'th of the subscribers were sent
individual messages I could minimise mail load on the system and have
an guaranteed accurate tracking system for who was *really* bouncing
when there forwards inbetween.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...