[Mailman-Users] initial install Q's. [NEWBIE]

Eric Gus egus at efn.org
Wed May 5 22:45:26 CEST 1999

don't understand the docs fully so...

Q - Does the user I invoke ./configure with need access to su or can I
become user mailman.
Q - Can i unpack the archive into /home/mailmain/mailman-1.0rc1/ and do
everything else from there

User gus (me) is only user allowed access to su

apache1.3.6 installed w/default user/group on a linux 2.0.32 kernel
(slackware)
User nobody
Group nogroup

/etc/passwd
root:[deleted]:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
daemon:*:2:2:daemon:/sbin:
nobody:*:65534:100:nobody:/dev/null:
mailman:*:586:104:MailMan MailingList Manager:/home/mailman:/bin/bash

/etc/group
root::0:root,gus
bin::1:root,bin,daemon
daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
wheel::10:root,gus
mail::12:mail
mailman::104:mailman,gus

Q - Does --prefix need /home/mailman/public_html or just skip the prefix to
use the defualt /home/mailman/

Q - would these be correct?  (sendmail 8.7.5-- will be changing to postfix
or qmail)
/etc/sendmail.cf
  # default UID (can be username or userid:groupid)
  O  DefaultUser=1:1

--with-cgi-gid=nogroup
--with-cgi-ext=.cgi
--with-mail-gid=1     (bin)

Q - If I use suExec or CGIwrap, do I have to configure cgi-gid differently?

Confused and green,
Gus