[Mailman-Users] using withlist

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Nov 11 03:50:09 CET 1999

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Marc Merlin wrote:

> - Change random options in lists (like turn archiving on, and archives from
>   private to public), because going through the web form for 100+ lists is
>   very time consuming.
>
> Even if you  don't have the answer to  all of those, any you  can give would
> help.
> Also, if I understand Christopher's  message correctly, withlist can be used
> from  the prompt,  but  python $prefix/bin/withlist  -r  module -l  listname
> doesn't seem to work.
> Is that true? Does it mean I can't run withlist from shell scripts?

i haven't tried using the '-r module' option to withlist but i do use
withlist from shell scripts like the one below.

here's a quick example of how to write a simple shell script to change a
list option for all your lists (turn off send monthly reminders).  i'm
not sure if the Unlock() is necessary but it doesn't hurt.

#!/bin/csh
set prefix=/home/mailman
cd $prefix/lists
foreach f (*)
  python -i $prefix/bin/withlist -l $f << "EOF"
m.send_reminders=0
m.Save()
m.Unlock()
"EOF"
end

the biggest problem i have with using withlist is that the MailList class
is not clearly documented anywhere (that i know of) so i have to read the
python code to figure out what the variable names are.  please correct me
if i'm wrong and there is somewhere i can find documentation about the
python classes in the mailman code.

i agree with chris and marc.  it would be great to start keeping some of
these contributed utilities, either on the mailman web site or as part of
the mailman distribution.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \