[Mailman-Users] Archives Not Threading Properly

Scott Gruby subscribelists at gruby.com
Sun Nov 14 09:18:00 CET 1999

I've recently setup Mailman 1.1 for a small list and have been quite
impressed with it. However, one problem I've been having is that my
archives aren't getting threaded properly, i.e. most of the messages
(even if they are replies to other messages) appear at the top level,
i.e.

[My List]Message 1
[My List]Message 1
[My List]Message 1

The second and third messages both have Re: in the subject line (in
the actual message and when I click on the message), but don't appear
indented in the list. I suspect that the problem is that some of the
users on my list have dumb mailers that don't use the In-Reply-To:
header and/or strip other headers. My messages to the list are all
properly threaded (I'm using Eudora Pro 4.2.2 on the Mac for my mail).

Any idea how I can fix this? Can pipermail be configured to base the
threading on just the subject? I realize that this could possibly
create problems when a subject got repeated, but the threaded
archives might work better.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.