[Mailman-Users] Archives Not Threading Properly

Gergely Madarasz gorgo at caesar.elte.hu
Sun Nov 14 17:43:19 CET 1999

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Scott Gruby wrote:

> I've recently setup Mailman 1.1 for a small list and have been quite
> impressed with it. However, one problem I've been having is that my
> archives aren't getting threaded properly, i.e. most of the messages
> (even if they are replies to other messages) appear at the top level,
> i.e.
>

> [My List]Message 1
> [My List]Message 1
> [My List]Message 1
>
> The second and third messages both have Re: in the subject line (in
> the actual message and when I click on the message), but don't appear
> indented in the list. I suspect that the problem is that some of the
> users on my list have dumb mailers that don't use the In-Reply-To:
> header and/or strip other headers. My messages to the list are all
> properly threaded (I'm using Eudora Pro 4.2.2 on the Mac for my mail).
>
> Any idea how I can fix this? Can pipermail be configured to base the
> threading on just the subject? I realize that this could possibly
> create problems when a subject got repeated, but the threaded
> archives might work better.

I don't know if pipermail can handle this, I don't use it, but you could
set up an external archiver with a mhonarc setup, mhonarc can handle it
(with a comment: possible replies or something like that).

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo at caesar.elte.hu         gorgo at linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/