[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] optimizing mail delivery

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm at integral.org
Thu Nov 18 15:49:47 CET 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Another alternative, which would be less work and delegates all
> delivery to the MTA, is to just pump all the recips to the local smtpd
> via smtplib.py.  The advantage here is that again we're MTA
> independent, but the disadvantage is that Mailman's delivery is
> synchronous with the smtpd.  We'd have to be very sure to unlock the
> list object during this transaction (but watching out for race
> conditions, locking again if failure status's are handled directly,
> etc.)  More code, more opportunity for bugs.

	In my own highly-hacked version of mailman that I use, I do this.
Mailman simply drops outgoing messages into the queue directory. A
background daemon de-queues the messages and pumps them to the local MTA
via SMTP. A cronjob checks the  daemon periodically, and starts it if is
falls over. All very simple, and  has worked very reliably for me for
several months.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne