[Mailman-Users] Cookies

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Mon Nov 29 15:08:48 CET 1999

>>>>> "claw2" == claw
>>>>> "Re: [Mailman-Users] Cookies "
>>>>>  Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:11:34 -0800

    claw2> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:52:54 -0500 John A Martin
    claw2> <jam at jamux.com> wrote:

> [...]

    claw> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:26:00 -0500 John A Martin
    claw> <jam at jamux.com> wrote:

> [...]

    claw> Simply: Not use the web interface to MailMan.

    >> So when the policy of the organization running the lists is no
    >> cookies you do away with the web interface then what do you
    >> have for managing the lists?

    claw2> Not much at all, and in fact for many/most configuration
    claw2> options: Nothing.  MailMan without the web interfaces is
    claw2> largely crippled and most likely unusuable.  I suggest
    claw2> either changing the policy or using another list manager.

    >> And, how do you do away with the web interface?

    claw2> Never install the various stanzas in your web server
    claw2> configs.

Er.. Throw away the baby with the bath water?

Unless I miss something cookies seem not to be involved for the
ordinary subscriber, right?

A list owner/admin can refuse cookies and operate by giving his
password at every turn.  It also appears that the cookies that are
offered expire quickly, 3 hours IIRC.

So, would it be possible as a first step to simply turn off the
mechanism that offers cookies and proceed as if they were refused?

It would be nice of course to tidy things up to make it better for the
cookie hating site.  It would seem a pity for mailman to be fully
dependent upon something as controversial as cookies.

	jam