[Mailman-Users] (help required) Timeout Problems with Large Mailing list

J C Lawrence claw at
Fri Oct 8 20:15:45 CEST 1999

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:59:44 -0400
Robert  <Robert at grapevine2.com> wrote:

> I'm serious....we want to add roughly 20-40,000 new Email
> addresses to existing 30,000 Email addresses mailing list.

Not a problem.  There are a few timeout and response time problems
when using the web interface for adding large numbers of
subscribers.  These *may* have been fixed now (I haven't checked,
but there was discussion on the area).

More simply however you can use the commandline bin/add_members
script.  I've successfully run this on files containing as many as
5,000 addresses (that's how they were provided to me).

> I'm seriously considering using this new mailing list manager:
> Subscribe Me Professional by Elite's CGI Script Center at
> http://www.cgiscriptcenter.com/ for $149.00 Any comments on this
> one compared to Mailman? The only nice thing about this Subscribe
> Me Professional is their support forum, which the real
> knowledgeable people will answer any good questions.

MailMan is a free software product.  Support is of course on a best
effort basis, and perhaps more significantly, on an "as willing"
basis.

J C Lawrence                                   Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                             Work: claw at varesearch.com
 ... Beware of cromagnons wearing chewing gum and palm pilots ...