[Mailman-Users] Mailman cannot respond to the list owner

Paolo M. Pumilia pol at est.it
Wed Oct 20 20:31:02 CEST 1999

After my first test on a local network, I tried to install Mailman
on a mail server in the internet.
Apache and Smail are running on that site, that will be called 'dom.org'
The host name is 'hname' so that the complete addresses for users on that
site is of the form:  user at hname.dom.org
A new list has just been created by user1 then a notification is to be
expected from the mailman. Yet notification never gets user1, due to
a not valid domain in the address.
Gere is part from smtp-failures:

+/ (550, "'<mailman-owner at hname.dom.org>size=1470' sender address target 'hname.dom.org'
+is not a valid e-mail domain.", 'mailman-owner at hname.dom.org')  (deferred)
+too strict -- even for sender 'mailman-owner at hname.dom.org'
 > Oct 20 16:42:01 1999 TrySMTPDelivery: To user1 at dom.org:

I am not thw owner of that machine, so i cannot infer from the warning
"relaying restrictions probably too strict" what must be adjusted in site
configuration.
Mail sent to user1 from another user on the same host are promptly received
whether using the address  user1  or  user1 at dom.org   or  user1 at hname.dom.org

Any suggestions?

thank you
Paolo Pumilia