[Mailman-Users] beginners questions

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Thu Oct 21 10:45:08 CEST 1999

At 11:54 AM 10/20/99 +0100, Judge, Jack wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just started playing with MM and I've a couple of questions.
>
>First of all, where is the URL for the overall server administrator ?

Is none.  Only two things a server admin really does is create lists, and delete them.
Which use use the command line for for now.

>I can find the pages for the individual list admins easily enough, but not one for the overall server administrator. As the server admin, how do I administer a list (or even remove one) if the list owner isn't available ?

Removal is command line.  To administer a list, just go to that lists page, and use
your site password (which you set with mmsitepass) instead of any other password,
and you'll "trump" their password and get your way.  Works on user pages too.

>Is editing the mm_cfg.py file the only way of setting server policies ?
>And I suppose any policy changes I make wouldn't be retroactive and affect any previously created lists ?

Those aren't policies so much as defaults; new lists are created that way for the most part;
old lists aren't affected, because they're settings are done at their individual setting pages..