[Mailman-Users] Creating New List via Web Interface

Chris Halverson cdh at CompleteIS.com
Fri Sep 17 20:08:59 CEST 1999

J C Lawrence <claw at varesearch.com> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:10:35 -0600 (MDT)
> Darren Boyd <dboyd at its.to> wrote:
>
> > It also presents an entire new set of security concerns.  With
> > sendmail, updating the aliases file is not enough, you also *as
> > root* have to run 'newaliases'.  Mailman's great as it doesn't run
> > as root (or doesn't have to, anyway).  That is a great option.
>
> True, tho this could be sidestpped by having a cronjob that
> periodically checked the timestamp on the aliases file and then ran
> newaliases (on any other command an MTA needed) as needed.  The web

Well, many sites have sendmail setup to automatically run 'newaliases'
if needed as in:

# automatically rebuild the alias database?
O AutoRebuildAliases=True

The bigger problem, IMHO, is things like virtual users. For example,
we use the virtuser feature of sendmail as we accept mail for about 75
domains. Therefore, we will do aliasing and such of lists and other
emails, and they all must have a domain on the addresses. mailman
kicks out the aliases is without domains, which I then have to go an
add in the virtuser table. It's not a huge deal to me though.

I don't mind not having a web interface. The security concerns and
multiple formats of aliases and such are too much, IMHO, to have to
worry about.

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/