[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] umbrella lists and subject prefix (subject_prefix)

Dan A. Dickey ddickey at wamnet.com
Thu Sep 23 21:51:06 CEST 1999

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 08:51:17AM -0500, Dan A. Dickey wrote:
> >If anyone cares to now fix the little problem of the
> >footer being added by both lists, I'd like to see the
> >patch for that.  Its a minor annoyance, but one I can
> >live with for the time being.
>
> I haven't worked with umbrella lists, but it would seem that the obvious
> solution would be to remove the footer and the subject tag from either
> the listname server or the listname-(us|uk|whatever) lists.  Is there
> something wrong with this?

The problem then is that mail sent to one or the other
of the lists does NOT get the footer added.
I.E., when a message gets sent to "listname", I want the
prefix [listname] added, and the footer for listname.
This message would be directed to listname-* at that point,
and I don't want listname-us adding a prefix or a footer.
Also, I want a message directed at "listname-us" to get
the [listname-us] prefix added, and listname-us's footer.
I'm not sure where the term "umbrella" list came from,
but it seems to me I'm looking more for a "waterfall"
effect here - the first list the message is directed at
gets to do its thing and others just pass it on to the
list members with no modification.

	-Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey