[Mailman-Users] Public Archives

Dan Mick dan.mick at West.Sun.COM
Sun Apr 2 10:20:00 CEST 2000

Jeff Fiegel wrote:

> The problem that I am having is that when I a user select to see the
> archive when the archives are public then get the error that the page
> cannot be found...  Hence the reason why I believe that the file that is
> missing is in the /home/mailman/CGI-BIN dir

I've no idea why you would think that "page not found" means it's a
CGI page.  What do you think happens when a normal HTML page is selected
that can't be found?

> ...  There is a private file there but not a public...

cgi-bin/private is an executable that presents the "private archive
access" authentication screen.  There is no need for a "public" script,
since public archives are open to all, and direct URL access is
possible.

Neither the cgi-bin stuff nor the archive files can be accessed
without the right web server configuration directives, as noted
in the INSTALL file, step 4.

> Can someone please check the /home/mailman/cgi-bin directory and tell me if
> there is a "public" file, atleast I will know if I am on the right track....

What exact URL is failing?  What Alias mapping do you have in your web server
to allow that URL to map to a file?  Have you restarted your web server since
you added that Alias?  And what file do you have at that
destination?  If all of those seem correct, what permissions do you have
on the subdirectory and file you're trying to access?